Wednesday 28 August 2013

Geelong - Jellyfish and Helicopters



Today we took the coach to Geelong :)





This was our first view of the sea:







There were lots of these statues along the coast, I'm not sure why.


This was the first jellyfish that we saw!


It didn't look real at all, we thought it might be fake..

This it the famous Cunningham Pier:





Lisa and Paige from work both recommended that we go to the Edge bar for lunch, it's right next to the ocean and is a nice bar. The menus are printed on the inside of vinyl cases.


For lunch I had three starters: Calamari and lemon, garden salad and OCTOPUS! 



I've never had octopus before, it was very tasty. Tanbay had chicken parma which is a really Australian pub meal. I didn't realise the starters would be so big so Tanbay had to eat some of mine and I had to walk around all day with an octopus food baby. 


This is the wool museum which Tanbay said he wouldn't go in even if they paid him..


Like St Kilda there were loads of palm trees around which reminded me of Miami, or what I imagine Miami to be like because I haven't been there yet.






The main street had lots of really rubbish shops on it, a collection of money lenders and betting shops and hair dressers..


But we did go into a really cool nerdy shop which sold loads of star wars, doctor who, minecraft etc merchandise, I can't believe some of the things people buy!!


Then Tanbay ran into those two guys from star wars:

This is what all the modern number plates say:


Then we went on the Cunningham pier and had coffee, it was like being on a ferry but better because it didn't move.



This jellyfish was definitely real and alive, and it was really big!

 Then on this pebbly beach we saw a real dead one! I put my foot next to it so we'd remember/you'd see how big it was:


I dared Tanbay to flip one with a stick so we could see the other side:

 eww
 apparently you can eat jellyfish in China.

me and the jelly


Then we were walking along to the beach and we saw a helicopter, neither of us had ever been in one before and so we decided to go for it! 


The yellow things are lifejackets, Ben the helicopter guy said 'I've just finished drying them out from this morning' Tbay said 'O cool great!'




It was really noisy but once we put the headphones on it was fine and we could talk to each other.

It was really beautiful and the best thing we've done so far I think.

 First he took us over the ocean,


this is over the botanical gardens


then we went over the city






Just as we went over the stadium he said 'how do you feel, do you feel sick' and we said no we feel great and he said 'o you like turns don't you?' and then he almost flipped us and I thought I was going to fall out the window and die, but I didn't. Luckily Tanbay had the camera and took photos, because I had my eyes shut.












he did some more tipping so we could see into this boat..



cheeky selfie :)





this is where we had coffee earlier:


Afterwards I felt really giddy and hyper and we went down to the beach:



we weren't sure at first if these were star fish or not but they are.



we think these jellies aren't killers but obvs we didn't touch them


this is where a sting ray would have been:







Tanbay said 'do your baywatch'




this sea water is enclosed with bars, to keep out sharks I guess





this is the kids pool



we bought ice creams and I asked the guy what kind of jellyfish they were and he said 'jellyfish'.. wise guy.























So all in all definitely one of the best days we've had so far :)