Saturday 25 January 2014

Cricket Match at Sydney Olympic Stadium

Today Kate, J.C and the kids came back from their holiday, it was great to see them again :)

We all went to a cricket match. I realised that this was not only the first cricket match I'd ever been to, but also the first sports match I'd ever been to. My family is more a musical family than a sporty family (unless you count horse riding, I have seen a man ride two horses ;) ).

I really enjoyed it, it reminded me of sports day at school (go Kyneburga)

We were really pleased that the match was on at Sydney Olympic Stadium, though it's funny that I've been to the Olympic Stadiums in Australia and China but not England..


So this is outside of the stadium:


and this is inside: 


It seats 80,000 or so but there were only 25,000 there. 

I really like this photo of us: 



The Sydney Sixers were playing against the Sydney Thunder. As J.C. and co were supporting the sixers (and they play in pink) we were supporting them too. 


However, the Olympic Stadium is the Thunders 'turf' so they had green cheer leaders, green smoke and green lights:




J.C. and Alex explained cricket to us as Tanbay and I knew nothing about it. It's actually pretty simple but I'm not going to embarrass myself and try and explain it.


This was T20 cricket which is a lot shorter than Test cricket.

The thunders batted first and I think by the end 6 of them were out!


Also one of the bowlers (I think it was a 6er) fell over onto his arm trying to catch the ball. Tanbay (representative of all wrist related injuries since he broke his) was like 'ah get up don't be a baby'. But it turned out that the guy had dislocated his shoulder!


The atmosphere was really great, though at times it seemed that the audience was more interested in doing mexican waves than watching the cricket. Tanbay said that mexican wave is 'La ola Welle' in German, we think 'La Ola' is spanish for the wave, and as Welle means wave in German it translates as the wave wave. Ha.


The match went on for just over three hours, but right at the end it got really intense. The 6ers had started their over looking like they were going to win, but half way through they slowed down a lot and I thought they were going to loose. But in the last couple of overs they made it really close until they won! We were very excited that they won, but found it hilarious that as soon as they won everybody (included the players) stopped paying attention and ran to get out first.  


It was a really fun night and I'm pleased that this was my first real sporting experience.