Thursday 28 November 2013

Top things to do in Hopetoun Western Australia

Where are we: Hopetoun Western Australia

We're nearing the end of our time in Hopetoun. It's a beautiful place and very remote. I would definitely recommend it for a relaxing and gorgeous holiday! The last three weeks have gone by really quickly, it's definitely one of the best places we've been in Australia so far.

Anyway here are the top things to do in Hopetoun:

Swim:

 As you can see the sea is crystal clear and pretty much deserted. We walked the dogs on the beach every morning and rarely saw people. The waves weren't rough at all - unlike in Perth.

Bake your own bread:
 Food is pretty expensive here, so I got into baking my own bread! Eat your heart out Delia.


Walk some dogs on the beach:
Luckily our house sit came with two awesome dogs, but if you're here and don't have dogs don't worry! There are loads of dogs walking around here.. we met three different ones who'd just taken themselves for a walk. One day we got stalked by a chihuahua and I didn't want it to get run over so I tried to catch it. A lady asked me if he was mine and when I told her what was going on she helped me, but we still couldn't get it.

The main point is there aren't many people here (1,400 according to wikipedia) but all the ones we met are really friendly and happy to help. No one locks their doors or cars and people wave at other drivers.

Meet the other locals:
We saw a bobtail and a dugite snake, but there is loads more wildlife to see here. There's miles and miles of bush with kangaroos and snakes, but we were always with the dogs so tried to avoid that. 



 Skateboard:
 There are loads of great hills and even a skate park for this. I always think I'm going to die when I skateboard but Tanbay is amazing at it. I actually hurt myself in the skatepark without even skating.. I fell up the ramp and nearly dislocated my shoulder. Apparently it looked really funny.



Drink wine on the beach:
It's actually illegal to drink in public in Australia, so I'm not actually drinking here! A cruise magazine paid to have a photo of me drinking on the beach, so I held it and then walked it home to drink it. 


Make a sandcastle and then become Queen of it:

I don't actually know whose castle this is, I just went ahead and conquered it.



So there you have it, it's along way from anything but if you are in the area (Esperance is only 2 hours away) I would definitely recommend it! It's one of the great things about house sitting, we probably would have never come here otherwise but I'm so glad we did.